Ugandan Truck Drivers Missing After Armed Men Seize Trucks in South Sudan
Home Trending News Current Affairs Ugandan Truck Drivers Missing After Armed Men Seize Trucks in South Sudan
Current Affairs - Trending News - 2 hours ago

Ugandan Truck Drivers Missing After Armed Men Seize Trucks in South Sudan

Six Ugandan truck drivers are missing after armed men reportedly abducted them and seized their trucks in Bor Town, Jonglei State, South Sudan.

The drivers were reportedly abducted between Tuesday and Wednesday morning at Mina Fish Port and Lew-dier docking site in Bor Town.

The two landing sites along the White Nile are major fish trading points in South Sudan, where businessmen export fish to Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo and other East African countries.

Isaac Katabazi, the Board Chairperson of the Alliance for Heavy Trucks Federation, said the armed men seized six trucks from the drivers.

Some of the confiscated trucks have registration numbers UAF 901U, SSD 517E and UA 861 and were being used to transport fish.

Katabazi said reports from truck drivers who remained stranded in Bor indicate that the armed men are suspected to be soldiers of the South Sudan People’s Defence Forces (SSPDF).

He said the trucks were allegedly seized to transport local militias involved in fighting rebels mounting armed resistance against the South Sudan government in Jonglei State.

Efforts to obtain a comment from Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang, the SSPDF spokesperson, were unsuccessful by press time.

Katabazi also said two other Ugandan drivers, identified only as Rasta and Ashraf, sustained injuries after they were allegedly beaten when they resisted attempts to seize their trucks.

He said the injured drivers were receiving treatment at health facilities in Bor, while several other truck drivers had gone into hiding for fear of being attacked.

One of the drivers, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter, confirmed that he was in hiding after allegedly being severely assaulted and having his truck taken.

The driver said he escaped on foot after his attempt to drive away failed, despite having been assigned a security guard.

“The attackers assaulted me severely. When I moved out and moved a short distance, I found my boss, who asked me to park. I had been allocated a security person who moved out with my big phone to speak with my boss. I used the chance to get out of the car and fled into hiding. But my back is hurting because of the assault,” he said.

Katabazi said he had contacted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs over the incident and called for urgent diplomatic intervention to secure the release of the missing drivers and recover the seized trucks.

He warned that the incident could negatively affect trade between Uganda and South Sudan, particularly given the longstanding concerns over attacks, harassment and insecurity involving Ugandan truck drivers along the Nimule-Juba highway.

“I’m appealing to everybody and all stakeholders this time not to allow the drivers to get hurt because I know the circumstances that will come out. However much they want to use our trucks, they shouldn’t harm us; they should not beat us,” Katabazi said.

He urged the South Sudanese government to direct security authorities in Jonglei State to negotiate for the safe return of the seized trucks and the protection of Ugandan drivers.

“Let there be negotiations on how we are going to get our trucks back and the security of our people,” Katabazi said.

Katabazi warned that Ugandan truck drivers could lay down their tools if the South Sudanese government fails to act and secure the release of the missing drivers.

Ugandan truck drivers have repeatedly staged protests at Elegu, a border town in Amuru District, over insecurity and alleged harassment in South Sudan.

In May this year, long-distance truck drivers staged a week-long protest over alleged extortion, harassment and illegal roadblocks imposed by South Sudanese security personnel.

Check Also

Education Ministry Mobilises Parents Against Holiday Coaching

The intervention came on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, after Nansana Municipality MP Zambaal…