Pilgrims Petition Museveni to Rescind Martyrs’ Day Postponement
Scores of pilgrims who had already embarked on the long foot journey to Namugongo have been forced to make painful U-turns and head back home, while others are still petitioning President Yoweri Museveni to reverse his decision on postpone this year’s Uganda Martyrs’ Day celebrations.
The President issued a statement on Sunday evening announcing the postponement of this year’s Uganda Martyrs’ Day celebrations due to Ebola concerns from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Our reporters across the country are reporting that several groups have started marching back home after receiving the information, while others are being briefed about the developments by parishes hosting them.
At the Uganda-Kenya border, several groups that had already crossed into Uganda crossing through the Suam Border Post in Bukwo District on Saturday, May 18. The pilgrims had spent the night at St. Joseph Parish in Bukwo on Sunday, May 17.
Fr. Martin Linos, the Parish Priest, confirmed that the pilgrims decided to return to Kenya in compliance with the presidential directive. “We received and hosted the pilgrims at the parish before arrangements were made for them to return back home following the directive,” Fr. Linos said.
Some of the pilgrims described the development as a test of faith, saying they accepted the situation as part of God’s plan. Mark Myokos, a pilgrim from Trans Nzoia County, said believers should trust God’s will despite the disappointment.
“This is a journey of faith and God knows why things happen this way. God’s ways are not human ways and everything happens for a reason, so it is not good to question His ways,” Myokos said.
Nancy Cheruto, another pilgrim, said although many faithful had prepared spiritually and financially for the journey, they respected the decision and prayed for normalcy to return.
“We had prepared ourselves for this pilgrimage, but we respect the decision and pray that everything normalizes so that we can continue worshipping together in future,” Cheruto said.
In Fort Portal Diocese, coordinator Acleo Ajuna told URN that thousands of Christians were prepared to link up with pilgrims from Kasese Diocese on May 21 to begin the foot pilgrimage. He said many had already booked and paid for vehicles to transport them to Namugongo.
“We now don’t know what to tell people because they are hurt. We don’t know whether we shall do the pilgrimage at a later date,” Ajuna said, adding that church leaders are equally confused.
Ajuna appealed to the President to allow Ugandan pilgrims to proceed while stopping only those coming from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
In Kabale Diocese, Alphonse Dilaho, Pilgrims’ Chairperson and catechist at Christ the King Catholic Church in Kabale Municipality, said all pilgrims from the Kigezi region were fully prepared for the trek to Namugongo but were left shocked by Museveni’s directive suspending the celebrations.
Dilaho revealed that a group of more than 60 pilgrims from Kanungu District had already started the trek on Sunday and spent the night at Nyakibale in Rukungiri District. Pilgrims from Kisoro District had gathered at Kinanira Catholic Parish, ready to begin their journey on Monday.
He has since instructed all pilgrims to cancel the journey and return home, stating that he cannot disobey the President’s directive. However, some pilgrims are suggesting that the celebrations should continue without pilgrims from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
In Lira Diocese, a total of 1,028 foot pilgrims had already set off, walking approximately 45 kilometers to their first station in Loro Parish, Oyam District, when the message reached them.
Gody Akio, publicity officer for the Lira foot pilgrims, told Uganda Radio Network that they received the news from Bishop Sanctus Lino Wanok. He said the pilgrims were disappointed but had no other option other than obeying the directive.
Asked about what will happen to the collections made by the pilgrims, Akio said the money is already spent. He was however, quick to note that the committee will be having an emergency meeting to discuss such issues.
In Masaka Diocese, John Lomano Sserwanji, Head of Foot Pilgrims, said the declaration of postponement came when they were in final preparations for their journey of faith to the Martyrs’ shrines in Namugongo. Their first group of foot pilgrims was expected to set off on May 27th on a six-day journey, with over 2,000 pilgrims anticipated.
Sserwanji noted that parish leaders across the diocese were still finalizing registration of participants and were preparing to print tags and secure reflector jackets for the pilgrims. “We expected the list to be submitted to the Diocese before the end of this week. Nevertheless, we are encouraging the leaders and the faithful not to lose hope, continue registering as we wait for further guidance from the Church authorities,” he said.
“We are going to continue with the intercession prayers in our respective Parishes as we wait for the guidance of the authorities,” Sserwanji added.
As of the time of publishing this story, the Uganda Episcopal Conference had not yet issued an official statement. However, a source at the Catholic Secretariat, who is not authorized to speak officially, said various stakeholders were being consulted before the Church issues a unified position.
“It is not as simple as it looks… but we wait, the conference will issue more guidance. As of now, the people should listen to the instructions of the President as they are in the public interest,” the source noted.
Meanwhile, the Church of Uganda fully supported the government’s decision. In a statement issued by the Provincial Secretary Canon William Ongeng, the Church acknowledged the significance of the annual gathering but emphasized prioritizing public safety.
“While this annual gathering remains one of the most significant events on the Christian calendar, the Church recognizes the importance of prioritizing public safety and preserving life,” the statement read.
The Church called upon all Christians, pilgrims, and dioceses to cooperate with the government directive and continue praying for the nation.
The Church also appreciated Uganda Christian University and all stakeholders for their preparations and assured the faithful that it will await further guidance on possible safe alternatives for the commemorations.
Pilgrims Petition Museveni to Rescind Martyrs’ Day Postponement
EAC Urges Alert Over Ebola, Russia Sends Experts to Uganda
The World is on the Edge of Even Greater Pandemic Damage
Museveni Assents to Protection of Sovereignty Act, 2026
Pilgrims Petition Museveni to Rescind Martyrs’ Day Postponement
EAC Urges Alert Over Ebola, Russia Sends Experts to Uganda
The World is on the Edge of Even Greater Pandemic Damage
EAC Urges Alert Over Ebola, Russia Sends Experts to Uganda
President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has assented to the Protection of Sovereignty Act, 2026, …
Now On Air – 88.2 Sanyu Fm
Get Hooked Right Here
DON'T MISS!!!
Pilgrims Petition Museveni to Rescind Martyrs’ Day Postponement
President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has assented to the Protection of Sovereignty Act, 2026, formally bringing the legislation into law.






















