Besigye Treason Case Moved to Civil Court, Opposition Leader Ends Hunger Strike
The Director of Public Prosecutions Jane Frances Abodo has officially taken over the treason case against 4 time presidential candidate Retired Col Dr Kizza Besigye.
Besigye is accused alongsudehis aide Hajji Obeid Lutaale Kamulegeya and a UPDF officer Captain Denis Oula.
The tri has been officially charged before the Nakawa Chief Magistrates Court.
The DPP preffered charges of treason against the trio hence dropping charges of unlawful possession of firearms and ammuntions that had been preffered by the General Court Martial.
The trio had their first trial nullified before the General Court Martial last month when the Supreme court ruled that it lacked jurisdiction to try offences committed by civillians
Besigye has been brought to court while being pushed in a wheel chair since he is unable to walk on his own.
The production of the trio follows a request made by the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions on Thursday in Exparte proceedings .
Assistant DPPs Thomas Jatiko, Lino Anguzi and Chief State Attorney Richard Birivumbuka are the prosecutors .
The charge sheet reads that Besigye, Lutaale , Capt. Oola and others still at large between the year 2023 and November 2024 at various places/countries including Geneva in Switzerland, Athens in Greece, Nairobi in Kenya, Kampala, contrived a plot, or acted by force of arms to overturn the Government of Uganda and expressed such a plot, through utterances and overt acts.
The particulars of the overt acts are:
- Travelling to various countries including Switzerland, Greece, Kenya for purposes of attending meetings to further the plot to overturn the government of Uganda as by law established.
- Attending meetings with various individuals both physically and virtually in various places
- Utterances to various individuals during meetings and privately expressing desire and intent to overturn the government of Uganda
- Providing logistical support and organizing for several Ugandan citizens to travel to Kisumu, Kenya for the purpose of receiving training in various military and intelligence gathering techniques and
- Soliciting for military, financial and other logistical support to overturn the government of Uganda as by law established.
The DPP contends if Besigye and co-suspects are not found guilty of treason , an alternative charge of misprison of treason has been preffered in which the Prosecutors contend that:
Besigye, Lutaale and Captain Oola and others still at large between the year 2023 and November 2024 at various places including Geneva in Switzerland, Athens in Greece, Nairobi in Kenya, Kampala, knowing that another person intended to commit treason, did not report to the Minister, an administrative officer, a Magistrate or an officer in charge of a police Station or use all reasonable endeavors to prevent the commission of the treason.
The Nakawa Chief Magistrates Court has no power or jurisdiction to entertain a plea on these charges as such power is vested in the Highcourt where they will also ask to be released on bail.
This implies that Besigye and Lutale are now in legal detention at Luzira prison although his lawyers had asked that he is remanded and taken to a health facility of his own choice.
His lawyer Elias Lukwago has also announced that after appearig in a civil court, Besigye has officially ended the hunger strike and will soon apply to be released on bail.
Kyagulanyi Says Over 400 NUP Supporters Detained Since Campaigns Began
ICC Says it Receives Available Intel on Fugitive Warlord Kony
Court Issues Criminal Summons Against Ex PS Geraldine Ssali
Bryan White Remanded on Multiple Charges including Human Sacrifice
Mufumbiro Denied Bail
Court Issues Criminal Summons Against Ex PS Geraldine Ssali
The Anti-Corruption Division of the High Court has issued criminal summons against the for…
Now On Air – 88.2 Sanyu Fm
Get Hooked Right Here
DON'T MISS!!!
Kyagulanyi Says Over 400 NUP Supporters Detained Since Campaigns Began
National Unity Platform (NUP) President Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu says more than 400 party supporters are currently in police and prison custody since the presidential campaigns began in late September 2025.




















