• Posted on: 22 February 2018
  • By: Presenters

Muhammad Kirumira, the embattled former Buyende District Police Commander is out on bail. The Police Disciplinary Court chaired by Denis OdongPinny released Kirumira this afternoon after presenting Assistant Commission of Police, Sam Omalla as his surety. OdongPinny directed Kirumira to report to the Police Professional Standards Unit at 9:30am every working day as part of his bail term.

He also stopped him from intimidating witnesses and speaking to the media until the matter is concluded. Prior to his release, the Prosecutor, Steven Ojala presented two witnesses to pin Kirumira for alleged misconduct during his last appearance before the same court contrary to police standing orders.

The two witnesses, Steven Ovulu and Catherine Kusemererwa told court that during his last appearance, Kirumira protested the bail terms and rudely stormed out of the dock. They also claimed that Kirumira didn't salute the officers who were presiding over the disciplinary court as required and roughed up officers who tried to restrain him.

Kirumira denied the charges and challenged the prosecution witnesses to produce statements or any evidence implicating him. Since was no evidence, Ojala raised no objection to Kirumira being granted bail. In his ruling, the Police Disciplinary Court chairman, Denis OdongPinny, said he was compelled by the rules of natural justice to grant Kirumira bail. Kirumira is facing charges of corruption, bribery, unlawful arrest and excessive use of authority.

He was picked up on February 1st, 2018 and remanded to Railway Police Station, a designated detention facility for senior police officers. Police claims that Kirumira committed mos the offenses during his reign as the officer in charge of Nansana Police Station and Old Kampala as Division Police Commander in 2013 and 2014 respectively. He was picked up by Flying Squad operative barely a few hours and transferred to Nalufenya police facility. However, the police court ruled last week that Kirumira was wrongly locked up in Nalufenya since it isn't a recognized remand facility by the court.